Tracmaster's Top 10 Gardening Jobs for September
Our top 10 gardening jobs for September...
- Carefully lift and divide summer-flowering perennials (provided they’ve finished flowering).
- If you have empty spaces, fill them with autumn-flowering perennials. Not only does it provide colour, but also helps pollinating insects.
- Take cuttings from tender perennials such as fuchsia and chrysanthemum.
- Plant hardy spring-flowering bulbs such as daffodil, hyacinth, and crocus.
- Start your autumn lawncare now. Scarify (rake), aerate, and reseed worn areas. Apply an autumn lawn fertiliser too.
- After harvesting any remaining raspberries, cut the fruited stems down to ground level.
- Pick apples and pairs before they become windfall.
- Lift potatoes before slugs consume them, and store in hessian or paper sacks in a dark, well-ventilated room.
- Check, and if necessary clear, water butts, guttering, and downpipes, and net ponds before autumn leaves and rain fall.
- Ensure plant supports and tree ties are in place for any windy autumnal weather.
There are many other jobs too, but these, in our opinion are the top 10 key tasks for this month.